[CentOS-virt] Confused by "qemu-img convert" [OFFLIST]

Sun Apr 24 02:42:57 UTC 2011
MargoAndTodd <margoandtodd at gmail.com>

On 04/23/2011 06:09 PM, William Kern wrote:
> On 4/22/11 10:18 PM, MargoAndTodd wrote:
>> I have a bunch of virtual machines running under Virtual Box 3.2.12.
>> I want to run them under KVM and drop Virtual Box from these
>> systems.
>
> Hi. I am curious why you are making the switch out of VirtualBox. We are
> beginning to test it with the new VirtBox 4.0.x series now that it has
> been open sourced.
>
> We currently run Xen, VMWare (both Server and ESX) and a test KVM box
> and are always looking for others experiences.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> William "Bill" Kern

Offlist?

Hi Bill,

Sure.  Love to carry on about it.  Virtual Box was always
open sourced, to an extent.

VBox 4.x is slower than 3.2.12.  I can not take any
more performance hits.  I am still on 3.2.12 for the
same reason you are using old-out-of-date Enterprise Linux.

I also almost got fired over Virtual Box and still may.  Fortunately,
as a private contractor, I do not have all my eggs in one basket.

A collection of some of my "recent" bug reports.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7628
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7643
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7607
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7948
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7957
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7772

And, the one I almost got and still may get fired over:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8478

8478 corrupted the hell out of a Visual Fox Pro and
and M$SQL 2008 database.

And you *can not* purchase a support contract with Oracle
for Virtual Box.  I wasted about 10 hours trying.
I have completely lost confidence in Oracle.

Red Hat, on the other hand, I love.  I snooped on the
KVM developers list and Holy Cow! are they ever
developing like crazy.  I no longer want to trust a
Virtual Machine where the developers have to be pushed
kicking and screaming into fixing anything.

HTH,
-T

Anyone have a chance to look over my qemu-ing run string?