[CentOS-virt] small cloud interface : http://karesansui-project.info/

Tue Aug 16 11:01:13 UTC 2011
Eduardo Minguez Perez <e.minguez at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:44, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> On 08/16/2011 12:31 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> just wondering if anyone had feedback about this project :
>> http://karesansui-project.info/ ; I had a go at setting it up, and it
>> took about 5 minutes to get going and be productive.
>>
>> their installer is extremely odd, its a tarball with RPMS ( although
>> they do provide a yum repo as well ).
>>
>> And its based on CentOS ( hardwired version numbers from centos-5.3 to
>> 5.5 - does not seem to like 5.6 unless you change their detection
>> string, not sure why ).
>
> I guess the question is how much such an interface buys you compared to
> lets say virt-manager?
> If you only have a hand full of virtual machines then using virt-manager is
> probably easier then setting up any of these cloud tools and if you have
> more then a hand full of guests then many of the functions become redundant
> as you'll need a dedicated monitoring solution like Zabbix anyway so all
> those nifty graphs become pointless.

In a large production infraestructure, virtmanager is not a solution.
The "de facto standard" in large corporations is VMware vCenter, and
the KVM management tools
(http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Management_Tools) are too far from
vCenter (in flexibility, options, ease of use,...)
I've tested a few of them to move from VMware to KVM, and the mention
goes to convirture (http://www.convirture.com/community.php), but is
too far away from vCenter.

> BTW what happened to Red Hats RHEV-M System? They wanted to release an
> open-source version of that a while ago. Does anyone know what the status
> of that is?

I've been testing RHEV-M in a large environment few weeks ago, and the
RedHat consultant told me that they expect to release 3.0-beta after
summer, and opensource it in the future (not scheduled yet)