[CentOS-virt] VM fails to start on host bootup, but starts fine manually. Why?

Dmitry E. Mikhailov d.mikhailov at infocommunications.ru
Thu Dec 1 02:43:05 EST 2011

On Thursday 01 December 2011 13:03, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> I have 5 VMs on my host.
>
> The first four are setup to start on boot.  But only the first three
> end up running.  The fourth has to be started manually.
>
> "Start virtual machine on host bootup" is checked on all four VMs but
> the fourth VM does not get started on host bootup.  After the host
> boots up, the VM is "Shutdown" state.  If I go into "virt-manager" and
> click "Run", it starts just fine.
Not enough memory may be? If you allocated more than you have. AFAIK Xen
starts the machine with maximum memory and shrinks it later. But when you
start all machines and they allocate all (maximal) memory simultaneously,
some of then could not be started just because more memory is used then
allocated.

It was my resolution to the aforementioned problem.

P.S. IMHO for full virtualization (e.g. Windows VMs) Xen within RHEL5 sucks to
KVM within RHEL6.

Best regards,
	Dmitry Mikhailov.