[CentOS-virt] Antwort: Re: Antwort: qemu-kvm

Andreas Reschke

Andreas.Reschke at behrgroup.com
Fri Dec 30 11:41:31 UTC 2011

centos-virt-bounces at centos.org schrieb am 30.12.2011 12:30:31:

> 30.12.2011 12:30

> centos-virt-bounces at centos.org schrieb am 30.12.2011 11:54:18:

> > 30.12.2011 11:54

> > radek <radek at bursztynowski.waw.pl>; Bitte antworten an
> > Discussion about the virtualization on CentOS <centos-virt at centos.org>

> > An
> >
> > CentOS-virt at centos.org
> >
> > Kopie
> >
> > Thema
> >
> > [CentOS-virt] qemu-kvm
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I am new member at this list but I am not new with CentOS. I use
> > CentOS 5.x till today, but I try CentOS 6.2 now.
> > Regarding virtualization on CentOS 6.2 (i386) I have some problem. I
> > installed all rpm packages joined to CentOS 6.2 and virtualization.
> > When I try to start virt-manager I receive request to install qemu-
> > kvm package. I try to do it accepting virt-manager advice but i can
> > read message that this package is not available. So, I try to
> > install qemu-kvm using yum - still nothing. Next I added additional
> > packages and repositories as follow:
> >
> > epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm
> > remi-release-6.rpm
> > centos-release-cr-6-0.el6.centos.i686.rpm
> > rpmfusion-free-release-6-0.1.noarch.rpm
> > rpmfusion-nonfree-release-6-0.1.noarch.rpm
> >
> > Still nothing.
> >
> > I visited http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=qemu-kvm
> > but there are qemu-kvm packages destined for CentOS x86_64.
> >
> > Could anybody advice me where qemu-kvm packages for CentOS 6.2 i386
> > is placed or what should I to do to fix my problem?
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> > Radek

> Hello Radek,
> there are'nt any packages with kvm for i386, because kvm doesn't
> work on this platform.
> Thats my opinion.
>
> When you need kvm and qemu, you must use x86_64 and a adequate
processor.

> Gruß
> Andreas Reschke
>
> Unix/Linux-Administration
> Andreas.Reschke at behrgroup.com
>
> Hello Andreas,
>
> Many thanks for this info. I found it in the Internet but I didn't
> believe... I use on my notebook Fedora 16 i386 and there are all
> packages for virtualization and all work the best.
>
> So, I understand that CentOS 6.2 i386 closed this line. But what
> virtualization joined to CentOS 6.2 i386 can I use? I don't think
> about "external" solutions like Virtual Box, VMware or others.
> It seems that CentOS 6.2 i386 hasn't virtualization "server"
> solution, it has client only. Is it true?
>
> Regards,
> Radek

Radek,
you can't compare CentOS with Fedora. CentOS is a respin of Red Hat
Enterprise. Fedora is the development for Red Hat Enterprise, like
OpenSuSE for SuSE Linux Enterprise.
You have a choice:
- Fedora 16 i386 with kvm
- CentOS 6.2 i386 with vmware, ...
- reinstall your Laptop with CentOS 6.2 x86_64 (if it possible) and kvm

I hope it helps

Gruß
Andreas Reschke

Unix/Linux-Administration