[CentOS-virt] using an lvm for kvm vm

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sun Feb 13 05:47:40 EST 2011

On 02/13/2011 10:27 AM, Nataraj wrote:
> Is there a simple way to directly install a vm on an lvm (or proably
> seperate LVM's for root and swap)?   For example something like:
>
> lvcreate -L 10G -n testvm_root vg_myvg
> lvcreate -L 1G -n testvm_swap
>
> Then somehow setup the VM to be able to directly install and boot the vm
> from these LV's.  How do I do this?
>

> Could you then pause the virtual machine and safely take an LVM
> snapshot, continue the VM and then mount the snapshot on the host and do
> a backup?
>
> This would be for CentOS/Redhat 6.

I am not sure that I have correctly understood your question, but I have
the following setup functional in Centos 5 for several years
= dedicated logical volumes,similar to your example
= a xen configuration as below
     disk = [
'phy:/dev/VG1/biblioteca,hda1,w','phy:/dev/VG2/disk2,hdb,w','phy:/dev/hde,hdc,w','phy:/dev/hdh,hdd,w'
]
( mind hda and hdb which are LVs created during the first step)