[CentOS-virt] Resizing EXT3 partition in guest instance CentOS5

Thomas Smith theitsmith at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:48:28 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Poh Yong Hwang <yongsan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apologies for the late reply. Here is the result of the command:
>
> qemu-img info staging.img
> image: staging.img
> file format: raw
> virtual size: 195G (209715200000 bytes)
> disk size: 196G
>
> Yes. I am looking to reduce this size to 100G.

Hi Poh,

Sorry for the delayed reply...

The first thing you'll need for this is _at least_ 100G of free disk space.
(100G should be sufficient, but it's generally a good idea to have a little
more than necessary just to be on the safe side.)

I will also still need to see the guest file system layout, if you wouldn't
mind sending that info please. (If you are using LVM within the guest *and*
on the host, please also send the name of the volume group that the host
uses.)

Having the file system information will allow me to provide you with
information that is specific to your configuration.

~ Tom