[CentOS-virt] OT: Recommendations for a virtual storage server

Wed Feb 2 16:55:16 UTC 2011
Kelly Alger <kelly.ktechknow at windstream.net>

I may be wrong on this compdoc, but I'm pretty sure it's a pretty bad
idea to have the host (Dom0 for me, in Xen) doing anything other than
hosting the system for the DomUs.

As far as the 'best' setup for your NAS server, it really depends on how
much you know about Linux.  Openfiler is really nice, but it has some
limitations on what you can do as far as access controls.  I found it to
be to coarse-grained for my uses.  In some situations it would work
without a problem, I'm sure.  I would give it a close look, really.  It
is very easy to set up and works well.

I'm assuming you don't really know a lot more about Linux than I do
because you are asking this question.  It is really the same place I
started.  I have been looking at various solutions for quite a while.

The last time I looked at Openfiler you could only use the 32bit version
as a DomU in Xen.  I think they have other images for other
virtualization platforms, and I know they have an image for VMWare.

FreeNAS really is nice, and I actually prefer the *BSDs to Linux, but
depending on what you are looking for as far as ease of use and setup
you may find it somewhat less refined than Openfiler.  It is definitely
not as 'pretty'.

I hope this helps.