[CentOS-virt] Resizing EXT3 partition in guest instance CentOS5

Sun Feb 6 19:09:01 UTC 2011
compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com>

Well, I can tell you how I do it. Might help.

1) create a new storage volume of the size you want with Virtual Manager.
(Host details>Storage tab)

2) shut down the VM and add the new volume to the VM ( it now has two
virtual drives - the original and the new)

3) boot with clonezilla, clone one drive to the other. Then boot gparted and
resize as needed

4) delete both drives from the vm, and then add back the new volume. Boot.

5) keep the old, smaller volume around for a while as backup.

When you add a volume, Virtual Manager assigns a device name to it: hda to
the first drive, hdb to the second, ect.

So, you have to delete them both to get Virtual Manager to assign hda to the
new one, otherwise the OS will not be able to boot.