[CentOS-virt] xm attach-block reboots entire server

PLD sa212+libvirt at cyconix.com
Wed Jul 6 10:42:38 EDT 2011

On 06/07/2011 13:03, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I'm still trying to get xen working before Centos 6 and KVM just for
> experience. I seem to be able to do most of what I what with VMs, but
> I've run into another problem with CD/DVDs.
>
> I can get a DVD mounted on the host domain just fine, but when I try and
> attach-block to a running guest VM, the entire server reboots. I've
> tried many different commands versions based on what Google finds, but
> I'm not getting anywhere. I end up using scp to copy the data from the
> host to the guest.
>
> The guest is basically defined as a full virtualized domain. I'm using
> /dev/scd0 as the device (it's listed on the mount command) as both
> frontend and backend devices. And I've tried a few other devices as
> well, but the same result.

This should be easy. Use attach-disk, not attach-block. Unmount on the
host before mounting on the domU. See the attach-disk commands in my
reply to one of your other mails. The device is /dev/sr0 on SL6. Give it
a go, and post your exact commands.
BTW, I gave up waiting for Centos-6 long ago. SL6 works just fine with
KVM. Haven't tried Xen on it yet - my Xen domains are on F8.