[CentOS-virt] Suggestions to improve this minimal kickstart config for CentOS 6?

Tue Jul 19 16:36:09 UTC 2011
Kartik Subbarao <subbarao at computer.org>

I've come up with the following kickstart config (see below) for
deploying a minimal CentOS 6 VM. It takes about 460MB. I'm assuming that
all of the -firmware RPMs aren't needed for a VM installation, so I
removed them. Also removed as many selinux packages as possible since I
don't need that.

I was wondering whether anyone could offer any further suggestions on
minimizing the disk usage of the VM image.

Also, I wanted to ask whether it might make sense to post this type of
configuration to the CentOS wiki, possibly linked from the following page:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/KickStart

This might make it easy for people who are building VMs for reference.

Thanks,

	-Kartik

========

lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
timezone America/New_York
auth  --useshadow  --passalgo=md5
selinux --disabled
firewall --disabled
zerombr
bootloader --location=mbr
network  --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0 --onboot=on
services --enabled=network
rootpw admin123

clearpart --all --initlabel
part / --asprimary --fstype="ext3" --grow --maxsize=1000 --size=1

# Repositories
url --url="http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/6.0/os/x86_64/"

%packages --excludedocs --nobase --instLangs=en
@Core

%post
rpm -e $(rpm -qa |grep -i firmware)
yum -y remove audit authconfig checkpolicy libsemanage libselinux-utils
policycoreutils selinux-policy selinux-policy-targeted
rm -rf /etc/selinux/targeted
rpm -e --nodeps redhat-logos

%end