[CentOS-virt] Now on to creation of disk images

Mon Jul 18 20:03:56 UTC 2011
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

On 7/18/2011 10:17 AM, Kelvin Edmison wrote:

> On 11-07-18 8:26 AM, "Steve Campbell"<campbell at cnpapers.com>  wrote:

>>>     Just put the ISO's in /var/lib/xen/images and point at them.  If you
>>> didn't download the discs, you can rip them using:
>>>
>>> dd if=/dev/<optical device>   of=/var/lib/xen/images/<name of disc>
>>>
>>>     For example, if ripping the first 5.6 CD...
>>>
>>> dd if=/dev/hdc of=/var/lib/xen/images/CentOS-5.6-i386-d1.iso
>>>
>>> I generally rip a disc multiple times and then do a file compare to make
>>> sure I've got a reasonable chance of having an undamaged copy.
>>>
>>>     Keep in mind that it isn't as easy to change discs when you are using
>>> images on a paravirtual machine.
>>>
>>>     I still recommend setting up a local repository as a much better
>>> solution because it allows you to take a snapshot so multiple installs
>>> use the exact same versions of everything.
>>>

>> I moved the iso images to a folder under /var/lib/xen/images and
>> selected it during an install for a new VM. I've run into a problem I've
>> not yet seen before. The first iso is used just fine, but the second is
>> "Not accessible", and nothing I can discover works.
>>
>> So, should the ISOs be moved directly to the images folder instead of a
>> folder below images? Does it matter whether I just copy the iso files
>> (actually, I used scp) or do they need to  be run through dd?
>>
> If you have SELinux enabled then it could be denying access to images in a
> 'non-standard' folder.  Try putting them directly in the images folder, or
> alternatively, if you don't care about SELinux, setting SELinux to
> Permissive or Disabled.
>
> Cheers,
>    Kelvin

Still no luck.

I have all the iso images (8 of them named just as they are named on the
mirrors) copied to /var/lib/xen/images.

When creating a new VM, I'm asked where my ISO images are. It only lets
me select a file, not a folder, so when it's time to go to the next iso
image, it asks me to insert the second disk, and then complains that it
can't access the CD.

What am I missing? I upgraded everything to the latest, so it's all current.

Thanks for all the help so far.

steve