[CentOS-virt] Xen dom0 support for CentOS-6

Thu Jul 28 12:58:08 UTC 2011
Luke S. Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com>

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 01:27:13PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> This conversation seems to come up often; people are still quite keen on
> having dom0 support for CentOS-6; If we can answer a few questions, we
> can move that issue forward a bit :
>
> - What do we need to do in order to make that happen ?
> - What code needs to show up in CentOS/Extras or Plus ?
> - and is anyone willing to take ownership of handing this ?

M A Young <m.a.young at durham.ac.uk>  has backported the xen patches
to the RHEL6 kernel.

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2011-05/msg00454.html

I emailed him some time ago and this is what he told me:

"I haven't talked to the CentOS people but I am quite happy for them to use
my kernels if they want. Do you know about my xen packages/kernels on
xenbits at http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/ . It hasn't been more
publicised because I haven't had much feedback from people testing it.
The kernel is only based on RHEL 6.0, I haven't yet done one from the 6.1
code yet."

Note that http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/EL6.xen/ appears to
be the fedora xen hypervisor recompiled for CentOS6.   The kernel is
under /testing.

I setup a box the other weekend with CentOS 6 and downloaded the RPMs,
and haven't yet gotten around to testing it.  This is something I need,
so I'm still planning on doing it, but, I've been saying that for a while,
so it's probably not rational to count on me finishing it within a
timely manner, but here is the info I have.