[CentOS-virt] Recommendations, please

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jun 23 11:49:10 EDT 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Alain Péan wrote:

> I must say that the meaning of your message is not clear for me. What is
> the difference for you between "The sources that will become CentOS 6",
> and "CentOS proper" ? What do you have in mind ? Why "KVM may be excluded" ?

for reasons out of scope here, CentOS 6 has not formally
issued.  Thus I must speak of the 'sources that will become'
CentOS 6, as there is no binary CentOS 6 yet

That said, I have been running private rebuilds of '[t]he
sources that will become CentOS 6' at a virtual and colo
hosting facility for which I admin, http://www.pmman.com/

As part of that work (related to KVM hardware minimum
requirements, compatability with certain local libvirt based
tools, and performance of KVM vs. xen), I and other techs have
set up and run 'xen.org virtualization' to power the backend
dom0's

As such, we have working installations that demonstrate that a
person may CHOOSE to fork from CentOS's prospective KVM
virtualization providing mechanism (that is, may choose to
NOT use KVM), and rather one might instead use xen.org based
tools

Yes ... I agree, English can be a unruly language to parse
certain conditional constructs

-- Russ herrold