[CentOS-virt] Confused by "qemu-img convert"

Tue Jun 7 13:11:49 UTC 2011
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

On 5/25/11, MargoAndTodd <margoandtodd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/25/2011 01:12 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM, MargoAndTodd<margoandtodd at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do I need a ton of disk space to go to a full hard drive
>>> then back to a small virtual hard drive?
>>

>>> Do I need the Virtual Box XML file for anything or just
>>> the VDI?
>>
>> Please elaborate on the above points.  I don't understand what you are
>> trying to do.
>
> The XML file contains all the Virtual Box machine settings -- hard drive
> type and size, mouse, floppy drive, number of cores etc..  I was unclear
> if 'qemu-img convert" needed to know any of this or did it just need
> the raw hard drive.

You just need the raw hard (virtual) drive filename.  Beware, if you
have taken snapshots in your VB vdi disk.  You may need to "merge" the
snapshots (if that is possible) before you convert.  One my engineer
had given me a VDI file insisting that he had implemented what I had
asked him to do - he did not disclose he had been taking snapshots
after every bit of configuration.  Upon conversion I could not see any
of his work!

> What I am trying to do is ween myself off of Virtual Box.  And now
> that Xfce 64 bit is getting close, I am about to pull the trigger.

Great.  I have been using KVM since 2009, to create small appliances
and deploy in production.

I use the kvm CLI tool - nothing fancy like virsh or virt-manager yet.
 The VMs are started and stopped using init scripts.

--
Arun Khan