[CentOS-virt] My CentOS in VMware can't find my wireless card

Wed Jun 8 12:42:24 UTC 2011
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

> hi,
>    i'm woo, I'm a newer to CentOS. I installed my CentOS5.3(2.6.18-128.el5)
> in VMware.
> And my wireless card is MERCURY 54U(Atheros AR5xxx).I plugged the USB card
> into my virtual machine, but it couldn't be found.

First off. Which VMWare program are you using? There are some pretty
big differences between the Player/Workstation/Server family and the
ESX(i)/vSphere family of products.

ESX you can pretty much write that idea off unless you have a newer
system that supports Intel's VT-d (or AMD's equivalent). Player is a
bit different if it's a usb device as you can attach to the guest a
required.

Assuming Player, are you *absolutely sure* that you connected the USB
device to the guest per VMware's procedures? If yes, what's the output
of "lsusb"? We need to know *if* it's being seen by the guest at all
to begin with.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

"This started out as a hobby and spun horribly out of control."
-Unknown