[CentOS-virt] Reading the new 6.0 manual - now questions

Fri Jun 17 15:35:16 UTC 2011
Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>

Hi Steve,

Le 17/06/2011 17:22, Steve Campbell a écrit :
> Firstly, it occurred to me that Centos 6 might not provide the
> virtualization rpms like it did with Centos 5. RH makes this an add-on
> to their license. Does anyone know if the upcoming Centos 6 will provide
> the virtualization packages (right away or in the future)?

I installed SL 6.0 on one of my machines, and indeed it provides KVM
(Description in French):
# yum groupinfo virtualization
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Group Process
epel/group_gz
| 201 kB     00:00

Group: Virtualisation
virtuels.
  Mandatory Packages:
    qemu-kvm
  Optional Packages:
    qemu-kvm-tools

I think CentOS will do the same for 6.0.

> Secondly, I'm not sure I understand the CPU allocation stuff. If I have
> 6 cores, it appears I can only create VMs that use 6 cores total. Using
> the GUI for creating a new VM will provide me with a max number I can
> allocate. Does this mean that I can allocate, for example,  3 VMs that
> use 2 cores each and never be able to create any other new VMs or does
> this mean I can create as many VMs as I want but only start VMs  that
> use the max total cores or less?

You can assign multiple VMs to one CPU. For example, you can have a
hostmachine with dual-CPUs quadcore, and have 15 VMs or more installed
on it, and some of them assigned with two cores or more. It is only more
threads on a core.

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33