[CentOS-virt] Recommendations, please

Thu Jun 23 16:01:11 UTC 2011
Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>

Le 23/06/2011 17:49, R P Herrold a écrit :
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Alain Péan wrote:
>
>> I must say that the meaning of your message is not clear for me. What is
>> the difference for you between "The sources that will become CentOS 6",
>> and "CentOS proper" ? What do you have in mind ? Why "KVM may be excluded" ?
> for reasons out of scope here, CentOS 6 has not formally
> issued.  Thus I must speak of the 'sources that will become'
> CentOS 6, as there is no binary CentOS 6 yet
>
> That said, I have been running private rebuilds of '[t]he
> sources that will become CentOS 6' at a virtual and colo
> hosting facility for which I admin, http://www.pmman.com/
>
> As part of that work (related to KVM hardware minimum
> requirements, compatability with certain local libvirt based
> tools, and performance of KVM vs. xen), I and other techs have
> set up and run 'xen.org virtualization' to power the backend
> dom0's
>
> As such, we have working installations that demonstrate that a
> person may CHOOSE to fork from CentOS's prospective KVM
> virtualization providing mechanism (that is, may choose to
> NOT use KVM), and rather one might instead use xen.org based
> tools
>
> Yes ... I agree, English can be a unruly language to parse
> certain conditional constructs

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your explanations. I agree that a personal rebuild of CentOS
source may choose a Xen kernel instead of upstream kernel, and tools
associated with this.

I must add that, due to the fact Dom0 has been included in recent Kernel
3.0 tree, it will certainly be possible in future releases of RHEL, then
CentOS, to choose either Xen or KVM as virtualization solution.

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33