[CentOS-virt] Recommendations, please

Thu Jun 23 16:12:25 UTC 2011
Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>

Le 23/06/2011 18:04, Manuel Wolfshant a écrit :
> I'll give you my reasons :
> - existing infra, setup and knowledge
> - RH gave up promoting xen because it was acquired by a competitor, not
> because it was not good ( or worse ) than kvm

I think there was another very good reason why Red Hat chose KVM instead
of Xen : the fact that Xen was not included in mainstream kernel. It was
painful to maintain a patched kernel for it.

KVM is included in mainstream kernel since 2.6.20.

I personnally chose KVM as virtualization solution because I know it is
in fact available in every Linux distribution. So if one fails, you can
choose another, free, solution.
But with 3.0 kernel, it will perhaps also become true for Xen...

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33