[CentOS-virt] Confused by "qemu-img convert"

Wed May 25 16:37:16 UTC 2011
MargoAndTodd <margoandtodd at gmail.com>

On 05/25/2011 01:12 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM, MargoAndTodd<margoandtodd at gmail.com>  wrote:

> The thread caught my eye while cleaning up my folders :)  My two cents
> is somewhat late; you may have already resolved your question :)
>
> However, since I did not see any replies  ...
>

>> Is it as easy as?
>>
>> qemu-img convert -f vdi oldImage.vdi -O qcow2 newImage.qcow
>
> Yup!  I don't use the -f option.  qemu-img auto detects the input file format.

Thank you!

>> Do I need a ton of disk space to go to a full hard drive
>> then back to a small virtual hard drive?
>

>> Do I need the Virtual Box XML file for anything or just
>> the VDI?
>
> Please elaborate on the above points.  I don't understand what you are
> trying to do.

The XML file contains all the Virtual Box machine settings -- hard drive
type and size, mouse, floppy drive, number of cores etc..  I was unclear
if 'qemu-img convert" needed to know any of this or did it just need
the raw hard drive.

What I am trying to do is ween myself off of Virtual Box.  And now
that Xfce 64 bit is getting close, I am about to pull the trigger.

Thank you for the help!

-T