[CentOS-virt] overlay image on centos 6 do not work

Kai Krueger kai.krueger at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Tue Oct 4 03:59:02 EDT 2011

Hello,

   I have some problems with overlay images on a host running centos 6.0

* I have 2 physical hosts, one running centos 5.5, the other running
centos 6.0
* I created a virtual linux host with a raw file image centos6.img
   I can start this vm on both machines.
* then I created an overlay of the file image with
qemu-img create -b centos6.img -f qcow2 centos6.ovl

when I start the VM from the ovelay on the centos6 machine I get:
---
Booting from Hard Disk...
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

No bootable device
---

When booting from the raw-image and adding the overlay as second disk
I see the following:
========== cut here ==========
fdisk -l

Disk /dev/vda: 8598 MB, 8598323200 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1045 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000bb12f

/dev/vda1   *           1        1046     8395776   83  Linux

Disk /dev/vdb: 0 MB, 262144 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/vdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

As one can see, the overlay image does not have any partition table.

Starting the vm with exactly these images (per nfs-mount) on the
centos-5.5 host works properly.

Is my problem an known bug or is it an old feature that has been removed?

Best regards,

       Kai Krueger