[CentOS-virt] using local media file to install guest

Wed Oct 26 21:37:50 UTC 2011
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>

Hi,
Been fighting with this for a long time and have narrowed my issues down
to one item...

How to use a iso image file to install a guest os with centos6?

I installed centos6 with the virt host package.

According to few obscure sites virt-install cannot use local media iso
to install guests.
With virt-manager I was able to use the same iso to make a guest, but I
do not want the gui on the server.

I tried mounting, umounting it..I tried using dd to bring the bootable
iso from the cdrom.

the issue I think, but not sure, is the use of the console directive
with virt-install.
It appears --extra-args="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200" works fine
when using --location, but not --cdrom

Unfortunately '--location" will ignore the path provided for the local
iso and want to go to
a url, an nfs, a virtual hard drive or cdrom....thus not able to install
from local media.
However, the text installer does come up.

when using "--cdrom" and use location to the different ISO's I added the
console will not come up
as the --extra-args="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200" is ignored I assume.

I cannot believe that the only way to install a guest on my machine is
to use the desktop gui or a
remote iso only. There has to be a way to install via the local iso...

I have tried about 40 times with different ideas, even playing with the
files on the mounted bootable iso.
However, the console only works with --location thus unusable.....sigh.

any help appreciated.

here is just a basic example of my attempts
virt-install --name test --ram=1024 --vcpus=1 --prompt --nographics
--location=/backups/backup1/centos6.iso --extra-args="console=tty0
console=ttyS0,115200"

I do not want VNC since again, that is not part of the normal install
and is again asking me to use a remote computer
to install on my local one, which is just not right. There must be a way
to install on my local computer, from my local computer,
from local file, a local guest.... isn't there?