[CentOS-virt] using local media file to install guest

Roeland Mertens

roeland.mertens at daisygroupplc.com
Thu Oct 27 08:25:12 UTC 2011

On 27/10/2011 06:10, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> I believe ya guys. However I could not install from a local source media (an iso) no matter what I did.
> The techs at dell put up some papers that specifically noted that using local media to install
> is not an ability that can be done with virt-install, whether you access the server remotely or not.
I am sorry but could you list them please? I could really only find
http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/KVM_Virtualization_in_RHEL_6_made_easy.pdf
which seems to do exactly what you want to do.

> I could not get virt-manager, the only thing that can use local media to run remotely with initial setup.
> Not without installing some kind of X server or system. Probably because I ain't all that well versed in it.
Where are you trying to run virt-manager? On the server or on your desktop?
> And honestly, why do I need to do something remotely when I should be able to do it on the host?

I have the feeling that we're at slight odds semantically. What do you
actually mean with local/remote? One parsing of your email seems to
suggest that you're set with a keyboard and mouse plugged into your
server, rather than connected via SSH, perhaps clarify with
desktop/local server/remote server?

regards,

--
Roeland M Mertens