[CentOS-virt] using local media file to install guest

Mon Oct 31 00:16:30 UTC 2011
Charles Polisher <cpolish at surewest.net>

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 06:11:02PM -0700, Eric Shubert wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 04:56 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> Wrong. You're making this way more difficult than it is.
>
> Just set up your host as in the directions, and when you get to the
> point of creating a VM guest, jump to the part about setting up
> virt-manager, but set that up on a workstation/laptop. On ubuntu for
> instance, you simply install the virt-manager package. Then create your
> VM guest using virt-manager. It runs on the workstation, but the VM is
> created on the server, via a network connection. It's really pretty slick.
>
> You're right to not want to put X on your server. And you don't need to.

It strikes me that OP is trying to do something worth doing --
install from the (apparently broken) command line on the local
host from local media.

When some critical infrastructure has broken, I often depend on
the ability to work with minimal dependencies. Requiring an
operational network plus a 2nd, remote host that has a running X
environment seems like too many dependencies for my taste. That
it /can/ be accomplished that way does not mean that it /should/
be.

As the OP has so much time invested, the next step could be to
get strace, gdb, and the source code and start bug hunting. But
one has to pick one's battles.
--
Charles Polisher