[CentOS-virt] disk i/o benchmarking inside vm

Mon Oct 10 01:58:58 UTC 2011
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

On 10/09/2011 04:32 PM, Nehemiah wrote:
> On Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm having trouble benchmarking disk i/o in my vm's. The data I get seems
>> bogus.
>
> have you tried perf top, you can see their other performance statistics
> there. there is more going on during a disk write than writing what your
> guests want. I think there is hardware passthrough for disks also.

At the moment I'm not interested in the benchmarks themselves but the
reason why they show such an odd behavior. The fact that there might be
"more going on" doesn't account for the results I'm seeing.

Regards,
   Dennis