[CentOS-virt] using local media file to install guest

Wed Oct 26 23:14:58 UTC 2011
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>

Eric wrote
---------------------

Run virt-manager on a separate machine, and use the COS6 minimal iso for
the install. Haven't done this yet myself, but I'd bet it will work.
--------------------

 From what I understand to do so actually sets up a gui session on the server, thus I would have
to install both x windows and gnome desktop...and in that case I would be able to do it
locally anyway...

Virt manager can use an iso file. It appears the command line tool virt-install cannot 'out of the box'
and something has to be done to allow local iso to be installed.

I was thinking about mounting the file, making it a nfs, turning on nfs and learning how to configure that,
then try to use that to install via a local nfs folder containing the mounted iso.

In learning about this issue I know see the thousands of posts online from people having trouble
with virt-install in a new light. Local install from local files seems a very big bump in the road.

I wonder what virt-manager does that virt-install does not do to use that local .iso image?
it must load it somehow and then 'fake' boot it since virt-install keeps looking for
boot.iso when I run it on a mounted cd image.