[CentOS-virt] Packet loss between Xen machines

Aaron Linnen aaron at kjaj.ca
Mon Sep 26 16:17:25 EDT 2011

Pinging from one domU other domUs shows dropped packets, which is
how we initially discovered something odd was going on. It also happens
pinging to the domUs from other physical machines.

netstat -i in dom0
shows dropped packets (TX-DRP) on the vif devices. Within the domUs it
comes back with zeros.

It only seems to happen under fairly heavy
load.

The machines in question are on the same bridge xen. That bridge
has separate subnets and one domU is a router that routes between them
(and performs LVS functions).

Aaron

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:08:47
-0500, Nehemiah wrote:

> what evidence do you have of packet loss?
between the net and the machines or between machines bridged together
with xen?

> --
> Nehemiah I. Dacres
> Saint Louis University:
Advanced Technology Group
> Linux System Administrator Sent with
Sparrow [3]

wrote:

>> We are experiencing some packet loss between xen machines
which we haven't seen before. Is this a problem anyone's run into before
and/or has ideas on how to diagnose the issue?

>> The setup is
CentOS 5 xen-3.0.3-80.el5_3.3

>> Aaron

Links: