[CentOS-virt] CentOS-6 KVM virt-manager will not shutdown guest

Wed Sep 7 20:53:22 UTC 2011
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I have a CentOS-6 guest VM configured on a CentOS-6 host.
If I run virt-manager then I can start the guest VM but
once it is running I cannot get a shutdown command to have
effect.  To shutdown the running guest I either must
select Force Off from the Shut Down menu or open the guest
console and issue shutdown from the command line.

Is there some setting that is required to have Shut Down
have effect when issued from within virt-manager?  is this
a bug or a configuration problem?

When I issue the shutdown command to the guest then there
is no entry made in /var/log/messages.  It just has no
effect.  However, if I issue a reboot command from the
same menu then I get an error:

libvirtd: 16:43:51.027: error: VirLibConnError 450 : this
function is not supported by the connection driver:
virDominReboot

Am I to infer that Reboot and Shutdown options actually
are not available to use from the virt-manager Shut Down
menu, notwithstanding that they are present?

Canada  L8E 3C3