[CentOS-virt] P2V of NEtware 3.12 working server to Centos >=5.x

Tue Sep 6 19:04:47 UTC 2011
Ed Heron <Ed at Heron-ent.com>

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 23:20 +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I would be grateful if anybody can kindly give a pointer to port a
> Working netware 3.12 server using Centos >=5.x KVM howto?

  There are so many variables that aren't mentioned...

  Do you currently have a CentOS box running KVM?

  If no, this is your first step.  Since a virtual server can run
multiple virtual machines, it is only useful if you intend to run
multiple virtual machines.

  What does your Netware server currently do?

  If it does more than file and print services, you will have to
determine how you would replace those other services.

  Netware 3 defaulted to using the IPX protocol for sharing file and
print services.  Are you still using IPX?  If so, you are looking at a
significant network reconfiguration.

  Netware 3 could integrate with a variety of client OS's; Unix, DOS,
OS/2 and MS windows.  What method is your server using to provide
services?  There might be lots of changes to client setup and software,
but look at Samba.  It can be setup with a workgroup for file and print
services that might be sufficiently similar to how you are currently
working.  The differences between a physical CentOS server with Samba
and a virtualized CentOS server running Samba are minimal and don't
directly effect Samba configuration.

  There might not be a simple document or a series of simple documents
to point you at.  It might be easier to setup a new network with the new
server and a few clients to work out the concepts and any issues you're
going to run into.  Once you have everything working well on your new
network, do a last copy of current data and migrate all your
workstations.

  I hope I'm mentioning use cases that don't apply.  Hopefully, you
already have significant CentOS experience.  Hopefully, this might be a
simple file and print server migration for MS Windows clients.  The
broad wording of your request might just be language barrier.