[CentOS-virt] tuned-adm fixed Windows VM disk write performance on CentOS 6

Sun Aug 12 12:44:40 UTC 2012
Julian price <centos.org at julianprice.org.uk>

On a 32bit Windows 2008 Server guest VM on a CentOS 5 host, iometer
reported a disk write speed of 37MB/s

The same VM on a CentOS 6 host reported 0.3MB/s.  i.e. The VM was unusable.

Write performance in a CentOS 6 VM was also much worse, but it was usable.
(See http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-virt/2012-August/002961.html)

With iometer still running in the guest, I installed tuned on the CentOS
6 host and enabled the virtual-host profile.  iometer showed the average
disk write speed increasing immediately. A fresh iometer test reported a
disk write speed of 80MB/s.

I'm not sure if the tuned-adm virtual-host profile was available in 6.0
- it may be necessary to update to get it.
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Power_Management_Guide/tuned-adm.html

Installation is quick & easy:
yum install tuned
tuned-adm profile virtual-host

I'm surprised not to see any other posts on this subject.  Maybe there's
something peculiar about my setup that caused the dreadful write
performance & tuned-adm happened to fix it.  This problem has been a
real headache and I'm extremely grateful to Philip Durbin and jimi_c for
bringing the solution to my attention.

The host server was rebuilt from scratch after a RAID1 simultaneous
double disk failure (happily my DR strategy worked. Have you tested
yours recently?).  It appears that CentOS 6 has some different defaults
(more conservative power saving?).  Maybe upgrades don't change the
defaults, so this issue only affects new CentOS 6 installs?

The iometer settings were: 1000 sectors, 16 outstanding IOs, access
specification: 16k, 0%read 0%random
The figures I've reported above are the 'Total MBs per second'
See http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html

In the process of researching the problem, 2 other quick & easy
optimisations came to light, each adding a few more MB/s:
- Set noatime. See:
http://www.activoinc.com/blog/2009/08/25/setting-noatime-and-nodiratime-for-improved-disk-performance/

- Disable Windows disk cacheing: See
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2003_guest_best_practices
On Windows 2008: Computer Mgmt -> Disk Mgmt -> Select Drive (system) ->
properties -> Policies tab -> uncheck 'Optimize for quick removal'