[CentOS-virt] (no subject)

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 17:20:59 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Zoltan Frombach <zoltan at frombach.com>wrote:

> I've also heard that older versions of Windows don't put the CPU to
> "idle mode" even when there is nothing to do. It is a known problem with
> older Windows kernels.

Windows 98 and the like don't idle.  It requires software to help idle the
CPU usage.  So I've read - I believe a table on the libvirt site says Win98
is no longer possible.

> Anyway, try to install the latest virtio drivers for Windows if you
> don't already have.

I have a WinXP Pro 32bit VM with virtio drivers and it runs just fine.
I don't watch the load on it, so I don't know if its CPU goes idle.  I'll
have to take a peek at it next week.

Is the OP absolutely certain that there is no process running that would
consume that small amount of CPU?  I'd be more concerned if the usage was
10% or greater when the system _should_ be idle.