[CentOS-virt] (no subject)

Fri Dec 7 20:02:14 UTC 2012
Shawn Everett <shawn at tandac.com>

Hi All,

I have recently installed CentOS 6.3 with QEMU+KVM for Virtualization.

I have successfully created a Windows 2003 VM with 4GB of RAM.  The host
server is an HP ML350 G8 with 24GB RAM and 24 cores.  Details of one of
the cores is shown below:

processor       : 23
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 45
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 1200.000
cache size      : 15360 KB
physical id     : 1
siblings        : 12
core id         : 5
cpu cores       : 6
apicid          : 43
initial apicid  : 43
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm
ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips        : 3989.86
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

On an otherwise completely idle system I've noticed the load to be 1.0 to
1.5 range.  Running "top" shows the culprit to be: qemu-kvm.

Is this normal behavior?  I would have expected the load to be pretty light.

Stopping the VM restores the load to normal once again.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the load?

Shawn