[CentOS-virt] (no subject)

Fri Dec 7 20:08:49 UTC 2012
Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org>

Shawn,

----- Original Message -----
> On an otherwise completely idle system I've noticed the load to be
> 1.0 to 1.5 range.  Running "top" shows the culprit to be: qemu-kvm.
>
> Is this normal behavior?  I would have expected the load to be pretty
> light.

You have to remember, or at least as I understand it, that a load of 1 is full for a single CPU/core.  Since you have 24, a full load would be 24.

Linux gets even weirder with more cores.  I have one system that has 64 cores... and it has a lot of threads/process running just to support those.

Another thing that uses quite a bit of CPU is ksm.  If you don't have a number of similar VMs then I don't think it is very helpful... and it seems to eat up quite a bit of CPU resources trying to be helpful.

Ok, now the uber-CentOS geeks can tell me how stupid I am. Mmmm... go.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street