[CentOS-virt] Setting up a pci passthrough device

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Feb 3 11:14:59 EST 2012

On Fri, February 3, 2012 10:34, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have been investigating pci pass-through for virtualized
> guests and the documentation I have found seems to me to
> lack a certain consistency in its example.  This may be
> due to my not understanding what it is trying to inform
> me.

Following along in the example and working on the basis
that what is reported by virsh nodedev-dumpxml
pci_0000_00_03_0 is what I should use I get to the point
where I try the readline command, and discover there is no
such link.

Proceeding past this point I detach the pci device from
the host.  I then edit the guest config file as given in
the example only to discover that the changes are not
saved.  it reported that the configuration was edted by
opening the configuration in virtsh edit a second time
shows that the added  <hostdev></hostdev> section was not
saved.  Perhaps this is because the example provides no
context as to where it is nested within the xml file and
my placing it directly within the <domain> </domain> tags
is invalid.

Further, the requirement to set setsebool -P
virt_manage_sysfs 1 cannot be met since an SELinux boolean
of that name does not exist (apparently it was renamed to
virt_use_nfs).

The reference I am using is found at:

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/rhel6/rhel_6_virtualization/rhel_6_virtualization_chap-Virtualization-PCI_passthrough.html

However, I do not think that I can recommend it based on
my experience.

Canada  L8E 3C3