[CentOS-virt] CentOS 6.2: Start and use guest as regular user under qemu-kvm?

Sat Feb 11 15:33:54 UTC 2012
David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net>

Trying to set up a copy of CentOS 6.2 for home use and give each family
member their own guest.

Goal is to cripple the host so that no meaningful work can be done
through it and each family member must use their own guest.

"Gold Disk" masters would be kept of each guest, so if they screw it up,
I can simply overwrite their current guest from the master.

SELinux is enabled and sVirt separates each guest (I want to keep it
that way).

Default settings require a regular user to run the Virtual Machine
Manager via sudo.  Once they do that, they can see (and access) any
other family member's guest.  Would really like to avoid this.

Have read several blurbs about getting qemu-kvm to run under a regular
user, but not sure if the version provided with CentOS 6 is compiled
with the options to allow that. When I follow the guidance to put users
in the kvm group and change the ownership of key files, I fail.

Appears to me that qemu-kvm with CentOS 6 is not set up (compliled) to
run under a regular user.

Say users are u1, u2, u3, and u4, and all are in the kvm group.

What else do I need to do to allow them to start, suspend, and stop
their own guest VM?

Dave