[CentOS-virt] How many virtual guest 'cpus' can a core duo 'quad' core support

Thu Feb 23 19:23:29 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Wed, February 22, 2012 12:25, Todd And Margo Chester

> Therefore, in your given case, think six not twelve.
> Common advice is
> to leave
> one core for the host OS/scheduler.  Which leaves you with
> 5 physical
> CPUs to
> allocate.

Thank you.  I never planned to allocate to any guest more
cpus that were physically available.  What I was checking
was that a single physical cpu with four cores actually
counted as four cpus insofar as kvm itself was concerned.
I have allocated guests their processors on the basis that
1 core = 1 cpu.  But it occurred to me that core might
actually mean something different and so I wanted to
verify my understanding.

Canada  L8E 3C3