[CentOS-virt] Setting up serial ports on kvm guests

Wed Feb 8 18:29:43 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Wed, February 8, 2012 11:06, Ed Heron wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 14:01 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> CentOS-6.2
>>
>> We have a dedicated CentOS-5.7 host used for fax
>> reception
>> and transmission that we wish to move to a CentOS-6.2
>> virtual guest instance. The CentOS-6.2 virtual host has
>> 4-port serial card installed.
>
>   Consider replacing your multi-serial port card with a
> VoIP analog
> gateway and use a pre-rolled Asterisk with virtual
> faxmodems, like
> Elastix.  Just make sure your codec is high enough
> quality.  We used to
> receive faxes using a dedicated Linux box with a Comtrol
> Rocketport and
> an USRobotics MP8.  We Converted to SIP trunks and managed
> to get our
> faxes in the SIP trunks, as well.
>
>   This will remove the PCI pass-through from the equation.

After a brief read this seems to me the approach we should
take. Recently I have discovered more about irqs, timing
delays, and the difficulties/impossiblities of switching
hardware from vm instances than I ever wanted to know.

Given that we have three dedicated fax lines and 6 voice
is there any hardware that would you suggest for a 4 core
x86_64 Intel based host system?

We have looked at going completely to v/f-oip but I do not
have the time to deal with those intricacies and get this
move completed at the same time.  So, for the nonce it
appears that we would have to employ an FXO gateway to
connect our existing POTS lines to the host.

Canada  L8E 3C3