[CentOS-virt] Virtual NICs on a Xen VM

Dmitry E. Mikhailov d.mikhailov at infocommunications.ru
Thu Jun 28 16:19:20 EDT 2012

On Thursday 28 June 2012 20:22, Steve Campbell wrote:
> So what I'm asking  is "Is it possible to create a xen VM that has two
> virtual ethernet interfaces on a host that has only one real NIC"?

IMHO you can create an empty* bridge interface on a virtualization host.

*By 'empty' I mean no IP address and no real interfaces bridged.

By the way, there's KVM already on CentOS 5.8, so if you're going to move to
CentOS 6 you'd better try KVM now. The solution I proposed earlier works for
me with KVM. KVM in C5.7 was not production-ready, but it did work.

KVM absolutely requires CPU hardware virtualization extensions and requires
64bit CPU for any real production use due to RAM requirements.

Best regards,
	Dmitry Mikhailov.