[CentOS-virt] Basic shared storage + KVM

Thu Jun 21 11:29:09 UTC 2012
Philip Durbin <philipdurbin at gmail.com>

To allow for live migration between hypervisors, I've been using NFS for shared storage of the disk images for each of my virtual machines.  Live migration works great, but I'm concerned about performance as I put more and more virtual machines on this infrastructure.  The Red Hat docs warn that NFS won't scale in this situation and that iSCSI is preferred.

I'm confused about how to effectively use iSCSI with KVM, however. libvirt can create new disk images all by itself in a storage pool backed by NFS, like I'm using, but libvirt can not create new disk images in a storage pool backed by iSCSI on its own.  One must manually create the LUN on the iSCSI storage each time one wants to provision a virtual machine.  I like how easy it is to deploy new virtual machines on NFS; I just define the system in Cobbler and kickstart it with koan.

I think my solution to the problem of how to scale shared storage may be OpenStack, which promises this as a feature of Swift.  Then, perhaps, I'll be able to leave NFS behind.

I'd be happy to hear more stories of how to scale shared storage while continuing to allow for live migration.

Phil