[CentOS-virt] Vendor Specific / Agnostic images

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Oct 21 10:15:37 EDT 2012

hi guys,

I've been going round in circles trying to workout the best way to
handle vendor agnostic images and in the interest of sanity and actually
getting something out of the door - it looks like the best pln is to get
the vendor specific requirements and push images with them ( and
suitability marked )

With that in mind, AWS is a good target to start with. Do people have
opinions on :

- root or ec2-user for login ?

- cloud-init ( we can use the one from EPEL, it needs a few things
sorted, but that should not be too hard )

- selinux as enabled, with a hook in user-data that allows people to set
permissive mode at time of instance creation

For step1, I was thinking it would be best to just have c5/6 32/64bit
minimal images ( using the pygrub AKI ) and make them available on
instance-backed as well as EBS backed.

Finally, would appreciate having some people help test the images
privately before we start pushing publicly - if anyone can help with
that, please get in touch with me at kbsingh@ project domain or the
domain this email came from.

Thanks,

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax