[CentOS-virt] Package lists for Cloud images

Wed Oct 3 16:48:38 UTC 2012
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 03.10.2012 17:29, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi Guys,
>
> As we get ready to start publishing Cloud Images ( or rather images
> consumable in various virt platforms, including public and private
> clouds ) - it would be great to have a baseline package manifest
> worked
> out.
>
> What / how many images should we build. At this time we were thinking
> of
> doing :
>
> - CentOS-5 32bit minimal
> - CentOS-6 32bit minimal
>
> - CentOS-5 64bit minimal
> - CentOS-6 64bit minimal
>
> - CentOS-5 64bit LAMP
> - CentOS-6 64bit LAMP
>
> What would be the minimal functional requirements people would expect
> from these images ? and what rpms should be installed ? Should root
> login be enabled or should we require people to go in via a 'centos'
> user. Should the image be self-updating, or should we have a
> post-login
> message that indicates outstanding updates ?

Hi,

Since I've already been messing with such images I kind of know what I
need:
1 - acpid, so virsh reboot/shutdown will work
2 - cloud-init for openstack images; also it would be nice if the image
could resize itself at first boot
3 - nano & wget to make the life easier for newbies

I don't think it's worth the effort to build Centos LAMP images, since
it's just Centos minimal + "yum install httpd mysql-server php-mysql
etc".

Nux!
www.nux.ro