[CentOS-virt] Multiple Questions: Xen4CentOS

Mon Aug 19 16:30:41 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 08/19/2013 10:44 AM, Duffy, Sean W wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to get a handle on the 'not included' aspects of Xen4CentOS.
>
> Anyone care to share their experiences with xm vs virtinstall vs virt-manage.  Currently I'm running one xm create config to launch a CentOS cd based kickstart install, then I use a second xm create config to run the created systems.
>
> Thoughts on pvgrub and running unmodified kernels from within the pv guest.  Is there a set of modifications that need to be run in the guest system to work reliably?
>
> Best practices for using encrypted lv's vs img files.  Clone vs backup, performance issues etc.

WRT using xm instead of virsh (or virt-install, virt-manage) ... you can
obviously do that if you like.  All the builtin tools for Xen work, both
xm and xl (just turn off xend with chkconfig and when you reboot you
will be running xl).  xm (xend) works with virsh / virt-manager ... xl
does not work with virsh / virt-manager.

But, you need to pick a method to use and use it from the first vm
creation as machines created with different methods do not necessarily
work with other tools.  So pick one method (Xen Tools XM, Xen Tools XL,
libvirt with XM) and stick with it.