[CentOS-virt] What do you use to provision domU's?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 11:32:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 06:32 AM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>> The subject says it all. I got CentOS 6.4 installed and then converted it
>> to boot into the Xen kernel, using the C6.4 system as its dom0. But now I'm
>> uncertain how to put a C6.4 domU on the result. Which tools are recommended?
>
> why not just use virt-install from the cli ?
>
> - KB

Morning, Karanbir, long time since I've commented on a thread with you.

Because virt-install involves having some fairly serious knowledge of
the options available. For a noob, or someone who doesn't write their
own resource analysis and wrapper scripts easily, It's fairly fragile
to use. It also doesn't automatically report replicatoin of IP
addresses for setup configurations, nor is it capable of tracking
resource allocations and overlaps among multiple KVM servers that are
not in a cluster.

virt-manager is very helpful to noobs setting up their first
resources, but I frankly admit that for small virtualization
environments. But it's quite burdened by trying to support too many
virtualization technologies, and by its own confusion of who owns the
configuration files and where they should reside.  But I also admit
that for small, lightweight virtualization setups, I find KVM itself
quite awkeward and simply use VirtualBox. The KVM bridging
requirements, in particular, are impossible to set up without
hand-editing the network configuration files or reading, and writing,
guidelines such as my old ones for pair bonding and bridging and KVM
and VLANs at https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/display/TUSKpub/Configure+Pair+Bonding,+VLANs,+and+Bridges+for+KVM+Hypervisor.