[CentOS-virt] What do you use to provision domU's?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Dec 9 08:54:39 UTC 2013

--On Tuesday, December 03, 2013 5:35 PM -0600 Johnny Hughes
<johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/Xen4QuickStart/Xen4Libvirt

Ok, I created a domU with the following command, and I see the image I
created, but I can't find the resulting config file. Where'd it go? Nothing
in /etc/xen or /etc/libvirt has a recent timestamp. I can start the image
with virsh and connect to its console, but I don't know where it stores its
configuration. I don't see any files in /etc/sysconfig that contain the
name of my domU (asskicker1). (I grepped all of /etc for that string.) From
all the documentation I'm finding I'm supposed to put a config file in
/etc/xen/auto to make the domU load at boot time but I can't fine the
config file to make that happen. Looking at the initscript for
libvirt-guests, it seems I'm supposed to list boot-time guests in a new
file called /var/lib/libvirt/libvirt-guests.

/usr/sbin/virt-install \
  --noreboot \
  --vcpus 4 \
  --name asskicker1 \
  --ram 12288 \
  --location http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/centos/6.5/os/x86_64 \
  --os-type=linux \
  --os-variant=rhel6 \
  --disk
path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/asskicker1.dsk,sparse=true,size=32,format=raw