[CentOS-virt] Fwd: Building Xen on RHEL7

Mon Dec 23 19:06:03 UTC 2013
Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>

Peter wrote:
> On 12/22/2013 08:32 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM, Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> gcc is considered to be part of the standard build toolset and as such
>>> is not required to be listed as a dependency in any spec file.
>>
>> Part of a standard build toolset or not, it needs to be mentioned. The
>> dev86 SRPM was pretty old, admittedly. But Fedora, and EPEL, and RHEL,
>> all build their  RPM's with "mock" and "koji" these days, and gcc is
>> *not* part of the basic build environment. There are reasons, having
>> to do with cross-compilation and alternative compiler toolchains. So
>> RHEL, Fedora, and EPEL RPM's all specify "cc" or "gcc" as needed,
>>
>> Do take a good look at those Fedora SRPM's if you think I'm kidding..
>
> I did check before I made the comment in the first place (this is for
> el6 from epel buildsys-build is the standard install for mock epel-6):
> $ yum groupinfo buildsys-build

> Group: Buildsystem building group
> Mandatory Packages:

>   gcc
>   gcc-c++

Additionally, the Fedora Packaging Guidlines list these as exceptions
which are not to be added as BuildRequires:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Exceptions_2

The United States is a nation of laws, badly written and randomly
enforced.
     -- Frank Zappa