[CentOS-virt] Building Xen on RHEL7

Fri Dec 27 13:36:31 UTC 2013
Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg at citrix.com>

On Dec 22, 2013, at 2:32 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But with all that said: why are you bothering with Xen when RHEL and
>>> thus CentOS have KVM support built right in? Is there some feature you
>>> require that isn't available in the built-in KVM support?
>>
>> Some people like Xen, people like a choice, and it's not all that
>> difficult to add Xen to EL7 anyways.  There's no reason to exclude it
>> just because upstream made a political decision.
>
> Sure. But don't make a choice just to make a different choice, and I'
> didn't suggest excluding it. I was just asking why someone who was
> unfamilar with RPM building was burning their cycles building from
> scratch. I do it myself, but don't recommend it when there are tools
> already availble. And you hd a *very* good point about working with
> the Fedora tools!

Hi Nico,

Wei, the OP, is a member of the Xen core dev team, and was just providing an experience report on building Xen from source on RHEL 7 to assist anyone who was interested in packaging it for RHEL/CentOS 7. I’m replying for him because since KB forwarded the original message to the list himself, I assume that Wei isn’t subscribed.

Thanks to both of you for your reports on building Xen from F19 and Rawhide!

Mike