[CentOS-virt] What do you use to provision domU's?

Tue Dec 3 23:35:16 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/03/2013 05:32 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> On 12/02/2013 06:32 AM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>> The subject says it all. I got CentOS 6.4 installed and then converted it
>>> to boot into the Xen kernel, using the C6.4 system as its dom0. But now I'm
>>> uncertain how to put a C6.4 domU on the result. Which tools are recommended?
>> why not just use virt-install from the cli ?
>>
>> - KB
> Morning, Karanbir, long time since I've commented on a thread with you.
>
> Because virt-install involves having some fairly serious knowledge of
> the options available. For a noob, or someone who doesn't write their
> own resource analysis and wrapper scripts easily, It's fairly fragile
> to use. It also doesn't automatically report replicatoin of IP
> addresses for setup configurations, nor is it capable of tracking
> resource allocations and overlaps among multiple KVM servers that are
> not in a cluster.
>
> virt-manager is very helpful to noobs setting up their first
> resources, but I frankly admit that for small virtualization
> environments. But it's quite burdened by trying to support too many
> virtualization technologies, and by its own confusion of who owns the
> configuration files and where they should reside.  But I also admit
> that for small, lightweight virtualization setups, I find KVM itself
> quite awkeward and simply use VirtualBox. The KVM bridging
> requirements, in particular, are impossible to set up without
> hand-editing the network configuration files or reading, and writing,
> guidelines such as my old ones for pair bonding and bridging and KVM
> and VLANs at https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/display/TUSKpub/Configure+Pair+Bonding,+VLANs,+and+Bridges+for+KVM+Hypervisor.

Heaven help me, but I agree with you :)

Libvirt and virt-manager is much easier to use than the command line
tools ... although it also limits what you can accomplish as it only
does a fraction of the possible configurations.

Libvirt on xen4centos:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/Xen4QuickStart/Xen4Libvirt