[CentOS-virt] mirroring people.centos.org

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:53:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/05/2013 03:47 PM, Carl T. Miller wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to mirror people.centos.org?
>>
>> I tried "rsync people.centos.org::" and it gives some disclaimers
>> followed by a null list of available modules.
>
> Are you sure you want to get 2.8 TiB of content ?
>
>> I've got an ugly workaround using wget, but would prefer to use rsync.
>
> Select the repo you want / need, and use reposync. Remember that
> anything on people.centos.org is just a personal build. Its not release,
> and its not supported, and most likely will get no updates security or
> otherwise.

Karanbir, rsync from a local repository is easily scripted to pull
only what's wanted. reposync only pulls only RPM's, you have to run
"repodata" correctly after it's run, and it doesn't get all the
components for PXE builds in their normal layout.

rsync is your *friend* fo this, if carefully tuned to get only the
material you want. If you have to use HTTP or FTP because rsync isn't
available, the "lftp" program has excellent scripting and the ability
to mirror a remote site, much, much more cleanly and efficiently than
"wget".