[CentOS-virt] cloud-init in CentOS 6.3 images

Wed Jan 23 01:30:12 UTC 2013
Brian Lalor <blalor at bravo5.org>

Good evening, all.  I just tried spinning up a CentOS instance in EC2 using ami-de5bd2ee from the AWS marketplace.  I put a dummy script into the user-data field when launching the instance from the EC2 console but found it didn't work, even though the SSH key for the root user did.  I pinged Karanbir on ##aws and he suggested I post here to get the conversation started.

I'm currently looking into what it takes to roll my own AMI; I've already invested a fair bit of work into creating packages and Puppet config based on a CentOS 6.3 system (mainly with Vagrant), and my initial test with Amazon's Linux AMI wasn't promising.  I think execution of the user-data script is a must-have, as it's the only way to automate the creation of a new instance without external tools.

Thanks,
Brian