[CentOS-virt] Time

Fri Jan 4 02:01:37 UTC 2013
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Jan 2, 2013, at 19:27, "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> I do that as well.  However, I run one on each host just to serve its
> own guests and configure the host to run off our central ntp server.

Unfortunately, before our upstream vendor's OS release 6, ntp.conf
listed several loopback addresses by default. These allowed a confused
ntpd to basically marry its siblings and eventually crossbreed itself
to a fairly stange state. But it will report ntpd as active, which is
why the Nagios check "chek_ntp_)time"  actually compares the time to a
known good upstream NTP service.

>>> 4.  On each guest have a cron job that checks for ntpd at regular
>>> intervals which reports failures and restarts the time service as
>>> necessary. We use:
>>>  JOBNAME="Check ntpd status and restart if required" ; \
>>>    ntpstat > /dev/null && \
>>>    if [[ $? -gt 0 ]]; then /sbin/service ntpd start; fi
>> Why not configure the ntpd daemon and stick with that?
>> It does update on its own [1]. And ntpstat prints out the interval,
>> which matches the one mentioned at [1].
>> I don't believe the ntpstat script/job is necessary (I've never had to
>> do more than set ntpd to run after configuring the servers it should
>> poll).

See above. The 'check_ntp_time' tool is much more flexible and complete.
itten does work. It's part of the "nagios-plugions-ntp" package,
available from EPEL and RPMforge.