[CentOS-virt] create a guest

Wed Jan 16 22:30:44 UTC 2013
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org> wrote:
> Greetings,

I just went through this migrating Ubuntu hosted virtual machine to
CentOS and RHEL.

Be aware that the disk images can be stored in different formats, and
not all KVM releases or other virtualization technologies can deal
with all disk image formats. Most of them have some form of conversion
tool, and unfortunately too many of them are prone to naming different
formats with the same suffix. KVM is notoriosu for this., they're all
*.imng" files unless manually told otherwise from the command line.

For example, if somone was using "QCOW" format on Ubuntu, and brings
the disk image over to CentOS 6.3, that image needs to be converted
with "qemu-img convert -f qcow2 srcfile.qcow targetfile.qcow2"

> BTW, if the VM is to have a public IP address then you want to setup a bridge device if you don't already have one, and associate the VM with that when you create it.  If it is going to use a private IP address, then you can just use the default NAT.

The documentation for this is, unfortunately, very poor and requires
manual intervention if you have pair bonding or tagged VLAN's to deal
with.